When I read the slate.com article “Sievert, Gray, Rem, and Rad” I felt that I had returned to my eighth grade science class. That’s the class that I recall making the distinction between English units and metric units. Even though the metric system is used in the sciences, apparently it is not used by all American scientists. Unfortunately, it has caused a few embarrassing moments, especially for the U.S. space program. I don’t completely understand why the United States doesn’t switch to the metric system. I do understand that it is a costly measure, and probably not the main concern when coming up with the federal budget. However, this will be an ongoing issue and will cause problems as long as we keep using the English system. It’s fine to keep the English system around. There are certain instances where it will still be useful, such as in cooking and sewing. Recipes and clothing patterns need to be maintained and remembered. But, using the metric system more in everyday life just might allow for better communication with the rest of the world.
- lettersfromtaiwan: A visual representation of some of the...
- rockpolin: Go to work…….. On the taxi. #taipei #taiwan #tw...
- Character #499: 識The character 識（ㄕˋ） means to know or to...
- shihlun: The first Taiwanese pilot YANG Chin-shi (楊清溪) and his...
- Character #498: 錯The character 錯（ㄘㄨㄛˋ） means mistake or fault....
- a19372846abcd: #ntust #sunlight #green #taiwan #taipei (在...
- a19372846abcd: #yonghe #taiwan #taipei #sunlight #summer (在...
頁面 | Pages
熱門文章和頁面 | Top Posts and Pages
- French-ruled paper, Séyès paper
- Japanese hairstyle websites
- Taiwan and the Olympics: flags and names
- Drama review: 怪俠一枝梅 (The Vigilantes In Masks)
- State Farm's Chinese language advertisements featuring 張鈞甯 and 何潤東
- Anthony Bourdain went to Taipei!
- Music to the PBS documentary "The Buddha"
- One pot rice cooker meal
- Monterey Bay Aquarium, Monterey, California
- Uniqlo pop-up now open in San Francisco
分類 | Categories
標籤 | Tags
彙整 | Archives
搜尋 | Search
我訂閱的網誌 | Blogs I Follow
我喜歡的文章 | Posts I Like
社區 | Community
版權 | Copyright
© 2010-2013, Thinking About Languages. Unauthorized use and/ or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/ or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Thinking About Languages with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.